The tape path in a rotary head machine like a camcorder is a very
finicky thing to adjust. I would worry that the camcorder chassis
got warped during the fall which would misalign the various rollers
and guides. I have a Hi8 Sony VCR which always mistracks slightly,
producing white dots on the screen, until I prop one corner up
momentarily, and then it tracks well after that. Why not just buy
a new camcorder?

Albert

Brian MacD ) wrote:
: I have a Sony camcorder that is about 3 years old. The camcorder
: hit some concrete quite heavily after I fell while still holding the
: camcorder. A Sony Service Center gave me an estimate of
: several hundred dollars to repair the camcorder, but said the
: reliability of the repair work cannot be guaranteed. In normal
: circumstances, Sony give a 3 months guarantee on their repair
: work.

: It seems that, although Sony can repair the parts that have been
: visibly damaged as a result of the accident, there may be
: continuing problems from other components of the camcorder.
: Can anyone please explain to me whether it would be sensible
: to have the repairs carried out in these circumstances? Does
: anyone know the types of ongoing problems that you might
: have from a camcorder that has been dropped, even after
: repairs have been made to the parts that were visibly damaged?
: Are there many very small components of a camcorder that
: could have been damaged even though this is not evident
: from an initial examination of the damaged camcorder?

: Thanks for your help.

: Brian