Charlie Self

Edwin Pawlowski writes:

Just a note: I refilled two gas grill bottles Monday at $2.19/unit, 7.7
units. (I don't recall if it was gallons or pounds.) About $18 & change.
In California. At ACE Hardware.

If that is for both, not a bad price. Tonight I filled mine at BJ's for
$7.49. Non member price is $12+

In the course of the winter, I use maybe 4 or 5 bottles.

I haven't filled mine in a long time, so don't know prices, but I do know my
shop, which is 25 x 48 with an 8' 6" ceiling (I screwed up the 10' would
have been much better) flat eats propane on cold days. I have a 35,000 Btu
catalytic heater and a 15,000 Btu model, and often had to run both to get it up
to working temp in the a.m. Working temp for me is around 55-60, but if I'm
gluing it is 65 to 70, as it is for finishing. But I don't like spray residue
floating into glowing catalytics, so I ran it up near 75 or sometimes 80, and
shut down the heat before finishing. That eats at least a 20# bottle (4
gallons?) each day.

This winter will be cheaper, if all goes well. Set the furnace at 50 and leave
it until I'm in the shop.

We'll see.

Charlie Self
"A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken