Steven D. Russell

Hello,

The wooden faces are fabricated from solid sections of a soft Maple, or
Poplar and are cut to match the pie shaped pieces of the aluminium jumbo
jaws. The jaw mounting area is cut-out in the wood face to allow attaching
the jaws with the two screws in the chuck body. The jaw faces are 3" thick,
sometimes a bit more and are secured from the rear of the jaws with screws
in the furthermost holes in the centre and the outer edges. These areas are
not typically in the area of the jaws you will be using when turning the rim
recess.

I have used many different methods to rechuck bowls through the years and I
like my wooden face modification the best. When set-up, the rechucking is
fast and accurate. Many times, the rim recesses can be used for several
bowls, if the diameter is the same, or nearly the same. When doing a long
production run of bowls, I can frequently use a turned recess many times
before it needs tweaking.

I have used this as the primary method to rechuck several thousand bowls
over the last few years. It works very well and is very fast. Time is money
in a production studio, so if I keep something around the studio and use
it, it's because it works. I use the large jumbo jaws offered by Vicmarc on
a dedicated chuck for rechucking. When the wooden faces wear out, simply
replace them and you're good to go for a few hundred more bowls. Works for
me... :-) Take care and all the best to you and yours!

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio
The Woodlands, Texas

Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell² Volume #1 CD ROM * Available
Volume #2 CD ROM/DVD Video * Available very soon...