Dave jackson

I salvaged a woodburning fireplace insert from a job that was never used.
It came complete with flue, flashing and cap. I've used it several winters
to heat the shop (24'x22' insulated) without problems. I am just careful to
clean the sawdust off the floor often. Takes about 1 hour to get a good
fire rolling and get it warm in there. I just love going out into the shop
on a snowy morning and building a fire-- who'd thought a woodshop could be
"cozy". On especially cold days i also use a kero heater. These type of
heaters will give off soot and odors when the wick needs replaced, otherwise
they work well. If you decide on a wood burner i would strongly suggest
getting a fan kit with it. Furthermore, if you need to buy wood, call BEFORE
it gets cold, prices are usually better. I go through about 2 cords per
season in the shop which amounts to about $150 split and delivered. (the
guy gives me a little deal 'cuz i refer his services to my own customers).
Keep in mind, you should also have plenty of endcuts to use for
indling. --dave

"Dave Rathnow" wrote in message

With winter immanent, I'm looking at putting some heating in my shop
so I can work and not freeze. I've heard people say that any
kind of open flame heating is dangerous because it could ignite saw
dust--I've heard others say this is rubbish.

Could people share their opinions and advice? Is an open
flame heater dangerous? What type of heating do you use?
Any recommendations to heat my shop: it's about 20x20
with a 12 foot ceiling.

Thanks,
Dave.