Robert Galloway

Ever heard of a motor-generator where both functions were incorporated
onto one armature? Such things exist. A rotary phase converter is sort
of the same thing. It'll give you good, real, three phase power, unlike
a static. It can use a few caps to correct for power factor but is more
efficient of weight and materials than a separate motor driving a
generator. Seems like perhaps the old Lincoln DC welding supplies may
have been built this way (don't hold me to this).

rhg

Old Nick wrote:

On 24 Aug 2004 19:25:25 GMT, (Charles A.
Sherwood) vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

PMFJI

Why is a rotary phase convert better than a 3-phase alternator driven
by a high-current single phase motor?

RPCs seem complex and prone to all sorts of vagaries (with SPC even
more so). Why not obtain high current 1 PH power, or several sources
of 1 PH power, and run a motor that runs a 3-phase alternator?
Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so
that neither of them can do what they want to because
of the other one.