Ron Bean

(Bonza) writes:

The duty cycle is probably 10 cycles/day

OK, a bit more than once an hour.

The materials in the dumbwaiter car are laboratory glassware and
chemicals

So you need it to be stable (I can see why they get nervous about
hand-carrying it). How hazardous is this stuff?

Also, what is the reason for taking it upstairs in the first
place? Can that function be relocated? (Maybe swap space with
something else?)

I just looked it up in the BOCA national building code book, section
26. They do not differentiate between powered and non-powered units.

How about if it's not permanently installed? Then it's not part
of the building. That's why I was thinking you could use some
kind of off-the-shelf hoist. But you need some way to keep it
level on the way up, so you don't spill anything (also, you need
to make sure it's contained in case the cable breaks).

I'm sure you could find someone to build you a full-blown elevator.
By the time you add the liability insurance (for the vendor), I wonder
how much difference there would be in the total cost.