chris French

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Ric" writes:
Hi there,

This weekend I will be embarking upon my first ever plastering related
project. I am going to skim a chimney breast!

That's not a good move -- I suggest you start by replastering the
inside of the cupboard under your stairs or a garage wall, not the
focal point in your living room. ;-)

Indeed, brave man. The suggestion made previously here about getting a
sheet of plasterboard and practising on that would seem to be good
advice.

2) Putting beading on the corners - the corners are presently badly defined
with wooded beading - I would like to use some angle beads to re-create the
corners - and this brings about my first question: Which angle beads do I
need?

You should use plasterboard beading, which is indended for taking
a skim coat.

I've always seen heard them called 'Thin-coat beads'

Which leads me on to my second question - what should I use
to fix the beading to the walls?

Some people nail them (nails are supposed to be galvanised to stop
rust marks coming through the finished paintwork). I actually just
use the plaster itself

My plasterer uses drywall adhesive

Any tips/help/advice muchly appreciated but I fear that in the end it will
come down to weather or not I am any good at it! We will find out in good
time I am sure!

I and others have posted loads of tips -- check back on google.

My tip would be prepared to be immensely frustrated :-( I've not done
anything major in the replastering line, but it really is much harder to
get a good finish that it looks (IME)
--
Chris French, Leeds