Mark

Ric typed:

snip
Any tips/help/advice muchly appreciated but I fear that in the end it
will come down to weather or not I am any good at it! We will find
out in good time I am sure!

Thanks,
Ric.

A few practical bits........
2Lt water makes about 4Lt by volume of plaster, which is sufficient to skim
coat, an 8x4-sheet plasterboard so if your chimney has a fire surround,
thats about the same size.
Mixing more then 4Lt by hand is hard work trying to get the lumps out, I
sometimes use an elec kitchen whisk on *SLOW* speed for small jobs.
Get a straightedge and concentrate on getting it level, surface
imperfections
can sorted once the plaster has set, waviness cant.
Make sure you put covering down on the floors were you are working and don't
reuse any plaster that ends up there.(as it will).... :-)

--
mark