Charlie Self

Dave Rathnow asks:

With winter immanent, I'm looking at putting some heating in my shop
so I can work and not freeze. I've heard people say that any
kind of open flame heating is dangerous because it could ignite saw
dust--I've heard others say this is rubbish.

Could people share their opinions and advice? Is an open
flame heater dangerous? What type of heating do you use?
Any recommendations to heat my shop: it's about 20x20
with a 12 foot ceiling.

Open flame can be worked with...I've got a good friend who has been heating his
shop with wood for over a decade. It requires specific care with finishing in
the winter, but otherwise is fine. I know a local pro who heats with wood, too,
but the stove is isolated, in the basement, and not a problem with fumes and
dust.

I've used propane catalytic heaters for mine. They work well, but are expensive
as all get out...tendency to burn a full 20# tank of propane per day in cold
weather is not good. The cost of the stuff is way up...last time I used it, I
paid $9 and that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Currently, I've got an electric furnace almost hooked up. IF you have the wire
capacity, it's a good way to go. Mine's in the shop "attic." I'm lazing my way
into hooking up the 60 amp breaker one day soon...when it drops under 80,
probably. Cost? Zip. Got it when it was removed from a house for a new type of
furnace. Check with local HVAC people. Other sources: mobile home supply
houses. They often have small, surplus electric furnaces.

While I use kerosene to clean some tools, I do not like the stench, and have
been through the kero heating mill. No more. Stinks. Requires care both because
of the open flame and the fact that output heat losses are high if you don't
keep the heater extra clean.

Charlie Self
"A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken