Pete Bergstrom

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Pete sez:

"You think this is simpler than an RPC? I built an RPC from plans on the
'net a few weeks ago, and it was a *lot* simpler than I thought. I

wouldn't
want to bother with a generator setup unless I really had no other

choice."

Right on, Pete! Also, it is a lot easier to find surplus 3-phase motors

for
conversion to RPCs than it is to find alternators. Alternators should be

In addition to the RPC plan I used
(http://www.frugalmachinist.com/rpc.html), I'll also recommend Bob's article
in Home Shop Machinist Nov-Dec 2001 "Induction Motors and Rotary Phase
Converters". I bought the back issue as part of my research.

I had originally planned to buy a VFD, but since my mill also has a coolant
pump I ended up building the RPC to power it.