IHateSpam

Have you condider upgrading your furnace to high-efficiency, then you do not
need chimney. You will pay probably the same or less if you go from
mid-efficiency furnace to high efficiency furnace as price of linear.

Regards

"Brian Andrews" wrote in message
m...
We've been in our house for 3 years and have never used our fireplace
because a chimney cleaner told us that we need a new liner. We
didn't do the repair because it was low on our to-do list.

Now we are converting from an oil furnance to gas and a new chimney
cleaner has told us that we need to do the new liner.

First chimney guy quoted $2600 to install a stainless steel liner.

Second guy quoted $1275 to install an aluminum liner. He said this
was all we needed for our new gas burner.

So, I went with the aluminum. I wasn't pressured or rushed but when
speaking to the guy on the phone he assurred me that this was the
correct liner for the oil furnance, but I forgot to ask him about
burning wood in my fireplace.

I've now read that aluminum is fine for gas and stainless is required
for woodburning stoves or oil. Is SS also requried for having a small
fire in the fireplace? Does this liner even matter for using the
fireplace?

I know this is a dumb question because you all have never seen my
chimney, but is it possible that I have 2 flues and that one for the
furnance just needs the alumnium liner and the other for the fireplace
does not?

The house is a 1945 Cape Cod in northern NJ.

Thanks.