Pete C

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:43:25 +0100, "stuart noble"
wrote:

As to why paint blisters and
peels on the outside lapboards of a painted house. What's happening is that
without vapour barriers and or adequate ventilation moisture condenses as

it
meets the cold 'within' the exterior walls and then pushes the paint off!
Houses finished with permeable stain permit that moisture, some will always
occur, to 'breathe' out through the walls.

A lot of issues here which I'm not qualified to argue about, but all paint
allows the passage of water vapour, while hopefully resisting water
droplets. Some figures were posted here a while back which suggested that
surface coatings offer virtually no resistance to vapour. I wonder whether
paint would peel off new lapboards as easily.

Hi,

The problem with damp painted wood is that when the sun hits it the
water may not escape through the paint fast enough and it gets almost
steamed off

I think wood just deteriorates with age and becomes porous to the point
where it cannot support a coating.

No, it won't change if it's protected by a coating, unless it's
rotting away.

cheers,
Pete.