Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Matthew Durkin wrote:
In an unused cellar I don't think the paint was there for decorative
purposes.

Well, lead is commonly used for roof flashings etc and isn't painted, so I
can't see any reason to paint it inside. It sort of oxidises on the
surface and this acts as a protection for the rest anyway.

Also - I understand fully all the points that have been made on this
forum, especially the ones regarding carbon build up around where
insulation is breaking down etc. My point about the cable being cold
was merely observational!

point taken about the darwin award. I hope it doesn't come to that. I
live 250 miles from my sister, and my dad works 12 hour shifts plus 2
hours travelling. He's also got his floor up at the moment treating
woodworm. There's only so much we can do!

Then get in a pro?

I think one of the most interesting things to come out of this long
discussion is that those who actually have some of this cable have it in
good condition. There are no sings of any decomposition of the cable at
all in this installation. I'm not saying it's good. But it has been
running fault free for maybe 70 years. My Dad will be over at my
sisters with a megger asap to see if there's any imminent danger, and
he'll also be ripping out the lead cellar lighting. There will still be
the laed feed into the house itself though, but at least then we'll be
in a better position to know how bad it is!

You need to do a physical inspection of the ends at a switch etc and check
if the rubber insulation is perished - and I'll bet it is. An insulation
test may not show this up, though.

It's probably 50 years old plus.

--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.