Brian Lawson

Hmmmmmmm,

Ahem!! I'm still shakin' from one I saw in the TO area in
somebodies house!!!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:12:22 GMT, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:40:20 -0700, the renowned Jim Stewart
wrote:

Just so you understand the city's concern, let me tell you
a little story. The grade school/high school that I attended
had a kitchen and lunchroom on the second floor. Because of
overcrowding in the lunchroom, it was decided that the grade
school, on the 1st floor, would eat lunch in their classrooms.
This was around 1964.

A very talented maintainance man offered to build a dumbwaiter
between the kitchen and the grade school hallway. The unit
performed excellently and the maintainance man received much
praise for his efforts. No accidents and no problems.

Fast forward to about the early '90's. The school, which was
built in the 20's is empty and waiting to be converted into
condominiums. A pair of boys break in and decide it would be
fun to ride the dumbwaiter up to the kitchen. What exactly
they did, I don't know, but one of them ended up crushed to
death.

I'm sorry that I can't present any cites for this story, so
don't ask. To the best of my knowledge it it true.

One of the local Chinese restaurants had one to carry food from the
(IIRC) upstairs kitchen down to the restaurant level. A waiter was
decapitated by it. Scary stuff, especially from a liability POV.
You'll need a PE with specific knowledge of the industry and
standards.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany