Mark Rand

On 24 Aug 2004 20:18:10 GMT, (GTO69RA4) wrote:

I've been going through some buckets of tooling I've accumulated, and here are
a couple things I haven't been able to ID:

http://members.aol.com/gto69ra4/Photos/whatsit1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/gto69ra4/Photos/whatsit2.jpg

First one is about 3" long, steel, has rosewood inserts on either side. Two
edges are beveled but not sharp, the other two are flat with a small groove
milled down the middles.

Second is also steel, about 5" long. Some of the holes are threaded, some
aren't. The two tube sections on either end are held on with headless screws
from the other side.

Anyone?

GTO(John)

The first is a square. the rosewood inserts are for insulation purposes to
limit distortion when handling.

The second is a sine bar.

The square can be rescued by grinding/scraping and a lot of work. The sine bar
can probably be rescued by replacing the tube sections with sections from the
same piece of drill rod of an appropriate diameter if there is no corrosion on
the body where the tubular sections met it... probably not worth the effort.

Regards
Mark Rand
RTFM