Andrew Gabriel

Default Pipe Bending

In article ,
(TOGGY) writes:

Thanks for all your replies.

Have tried the wd40 trick just as a test but to no avail. How can
i tell if the tube is table x or y? I bought it from the local
William Wilson, which is always pretty busy, so i doubt if it would
be lying around for all that long.

It's sometimes faintly ink-jet printed or dot-matrix embossed
into the surface of the tube. From memory, I think the table
X tube has a 0.9mm copper thickness, sometimes written as
15x0.9 or some such. I've never used table Y tube.

What make pipe bender do you have? Not sure the answer will help
much, unless it's something like Fisher Price ;-) Mine's a
Record one from B&Q a few years ago. I noticed CPC had a special
offer sometime before christmas for one something not much over
£20 IIRC, which looked like a Record one but the picture was
too small to be sure. That would make it half the price I paid
for mine, albeit some years ago.

One other thought -- you do have the separate stright former
pieces don't you? When I was looking in B&Q for one for someone
else more recently, none of the boxes had those pieces in them.
I could imagine people buying the pipe benders and assuming the
roller is supposed to press directly on the pipe -- not sure
what happens if you try doing it like that, but I imagine it
will screw up one way or another :-)

--
Andrew Gabriel