David Hall

(Doug Miller) wrote in message ...
In article , "Bob Schmall" wrote:

What does military service have to do with being a good president? Mr. Bush
is president yet spent his time serving (?) in the Guards, and IIRC since
1960 only Presidents Kennedy, Carter, and Bush 1 served in the regular
military. Several presidents served in the Civil War, but that was no
indicator of their abilities--in fact Grant, the most famous of them, was a
notoriously poor president.

Johnson, Nixon, and Ford all served in the Navy during WWII. IIRC, Johnson as
an observer, Nixon in logistics, and Ford on combat ships. Clinton is the only
President in the last sixty years with no military service of any sort.

I don't know, the last biography of Johnson I read didn't mention him
being in the service. I did mention him flying as a passenger in a
military plane while he was a congressman (i.e. exempt from service),
the plane being shot at and him using that henceforth as him "being in
combat during World War II".

Dave Hall