John Rumm

I would expect the simplest way would be one substantial beam
(probably a RSJ) right through the middle of the loft

Unfortunately (I didn't show this on any of the plans for simplicity)
there's actually a bay window at the front of the house which may cause
some problems for supporting an RSJ - not sure - another structural
engineer question I think...

I was thinking about the RSJ running side to side rather than front to
back. The beams would then run front to RSJ and RSJ to back. Having the
bay window may complicate it a bit since the lintel over it may not be
up to the task of taking a floor load. I hade exactly the same issue to
solve on my place. I used a flitch beam as a stringer just in front of
the bay window lintel. That way I did not need to worry about if it
would be up to the job.

2. Fitting a 'floor area' for storage
He was happy with a '1/6' section of the loft being devoted to storage
however a new floor would be required in this area - this would need to
be held in the wall by joist hangers on one side and rest on one of the
30' beams on the other... er, like this:-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/storage.gif

Look like a good plan. You could alternatively go for upto 4 smaller
areas at each corner in the same way if you need to store heavier stuff
(i.e. keeping it close to the edges)

3. Full 'shell' conversion
Finally, he quoted around £350-400 to model a full shell conversion -

Sounds fair... cost me 570 for full plans and calcs.

least until we get the rest of the flat finished. Not sure yet...
Anyway, what do people know about soil pipes? :-)

Round, pipey and full of **it ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.