N. Thornton

"Matthew Durkin" wrote in message ...
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,

I forgot to mention something. In 2003 an electrician added 4 downlighters
to the circuit when the bathroom was re-done, and has left his safety tested
sticker on the fusebox. My Dad reckons that the original 5 Amp round pin
wall sockets would have been connected to it, and that the 13A modern
sockets may well all be on it. He could only see the one obvious cable
running upstairs.
As for the sheath being at 120V - doubt it. I didn't get any kind of shock,
mild tingle etc when I scratched a bit of paint off the surface to reveal
the metal last week. The metal was also very shiny and not in any way
corroded.

Lead does not stay bright in air. When you took the paint off you took
the corrosion off with it.

The cable was also stone cold, so not running warm at all.

sounds like you didnt understand what was said on that point.

Anyway, I think my Dad's going round there next week to test the cables and
see if there is an imminent problem. I think we might tackle a re-wire over
Christmas unless the results of the cable test indicate a more pressing
need. In the meantime, we'll be advising my sister to not use a hairdryer,
kettle etc upstairs.

Your Darwin Award has been reserved for you.

NT