Mike Marlow

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
hlink.net...

I'm certain your description above is well intended; however, what it

truly
illustrates is your lack of the NEC and it's intended purpose.

The motor you describe could turn into burned toast, the NEC could care

less
as long as the insulation on the conductors feeding the motor is not
damaged.

Circuit protective devices are designed to protect insulation on

conductors,
not the loads such as a motor, that consume the power.

Overload devices provide that function.

Lew - your point is well taken and it has never been disputed in any of the
recent threads on this topic. However - the discussions have not been about
what NEC is intending to do. The electricians (or seemingly so) in the
group keep referencing NEC and the fact that NEC intends to protect the wire
not the device. The points that have been made about protecting the motors
represent the *owner's* concerns. Not everything in the world of
electricity is covered by NEC's interest. Owners have other interests
besides their house wire. To date, I've not heard any of the electricians
argue that the statements about properly sizing a circuit to the load is
improper. The owner is concerned for his saw motor. It appears from the
Griz literature that he should be. Maybe there is an error in the Griz
literature, but to repeat that NEC only cares about wire insulation really
does nothing to further understandings in these threads.
--

-Mike-