Andrew Gabriel

Default A bit O/T ... UK PC vendors ...

In article ,
Andy Hall writes:
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 00:17:57 +0000, No-one
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:33:23 -0000, "al"
wrote:

The VAT and/or excise duty however I'd be
interested to hear more about. Do I just have to pay 17.5% when it arrives?
Who do I pay? How does it work? If they charge admin, can you pre-pay this
to avoid it if there is no chance of it "slipping through"?

You would be liable to excise duty on the PC, plus VAT on top i.e.
you pay VAT on the cost plus duty total. Then an admin charge by the
carriers.

There shouldn't be duty from the U.S. to the EU on computers IME.

That's true for complete systems.
Incomplete systems and parts attracted 20% last time I looked.

--
Andrew Gabriel