DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Eric R Snow wrote:
On 23 Aug 2004 17:49:55 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

a cute little VFD which is supposed to be used with 1/8 HP 240 V
three-phase motors, though I am told that it will work well with up to
1/4 HP under comfortable conditions.

[ ... ]

Yes -- but if the old motor can be used to run a small machine
tool (e.g. a Taig or a Sherline), it might be worth something like the
$35.00 that It cost me on eBay about a year ago or so. (I had hopes
that it would generate up to 400 HZ (as some of the larger ones will
do), so I could use it for playing with some ancient aircraft
instruments which I have (an artificial horizon, and a gyrocompass).
These were surplus back in about 1960, so they must be no great shakes,
but fun to play with.

[ ... ]

Recently I purchased a Danfoss inverter that goes up to 1000 HZ. It's
for a 5 hp motor. I would consider trading for one that doesn't go up
that high if it was new and comparable.

I've got a couple of others -- a 2 hp and a 3 hp one
(respectively for my Clausing lathe and my Bridgeport) which will go
above 400 Hz, but I don't want to hang the instruments on something that
large (and deprive my machine tools of it.)

And somehow, I doubt that my little 1/8 HP VFD would do for your
5 hp motor. Running a 1/4 hp motor from it is already exceeding the
specs. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |