Tim S

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:44:16 +0000, Matthew Durkin wrote:

My Dad seemed to think it would be paper insulated, not rubber. Apparently
it lasts a long time so long as it is never allowed to get damp. Not seen
any lead blobs though! There are definitely lead junction boxes in this
installation...

Pretty sure I've seen rubber - but it was a looong time ago. I suppose if
there were a rubber version, the sheath would have to have been wrapped
around cold and an unjoined seam left. Was there such a thing or have I
smoked too many mushrooms? - not much chance of seam welding lead in
contact with rubber I would have thought. Or was there a magical way of
cold drawing a lead sheath tight around the cores during manufacture?

The paper variety would make sense - a larger version was the standard for
supply cables underground. Still plenty of it in service in London - saw a
lump being replaced 2 years in Sutton just outside the station. Obviously
wasn't very serviceable at the end due to the number of times the lights
went out in the upper High Street(!).

Cheers

Timbo