Robert Galloway

Your dust collector is likely to draw its full rated current most of the
time. The saw will only draw max when heavily loaded. If the DC is
drawing 12 amps constant and you try ripping that 8/4 piece of oak and
the saw hits its 12 amps, sounds like your 20 amp breaker will trip, no?

bob g.

Jim wrote:

I am the original person who posted this. I have the Grizzly G0444Z 220
volt table saw and the Grizzly 220 volt G1029Z dust collector. Both are
rated at 12 amps each. What I would like to do is have them both on the
same circuit. I was confused as to using a 30 amp brkr with 10/3 wire. I
thought 12/3 with a 20 amp brkr would handle it if I turned each on
separately and let it get up to speed before turning on the other. It
appears that the best solution would be to wire them separately on their own
circuit. It is somewhat confusing to me.
Thanks again for your help.

"toller" wrote in message

"Charley" wrote in message
.rr.com...

You didn't say what the current ratings were for each of them.

If you do this you need to realize that anything that you hook to a 30

amp

breaker needs to be capable of handling 30 amps. In other words all of

the

wiring, outlets, switches, etc. to your saw and your dust collector

needs

be rated at 30 amps as well. That means #10 wire minimum. The reason for
this is that the wiring needs to be able to handle a short circuit

anywhere

in the circuit up to the rating of the circuit breaker that's feeding

it.

If

you use smaller wire and hardware a short circuit will result in a fire

and

a wood shop is one of the last places that you want this to happen.

I strongly recommend that you put each one on their own breaker which is
sized correctly for their full load ratings and wiring. If you bought a

sub

panel without adequate space you should consider replacing it with a

bigger

one.

I agree that 2 separate circuits is the best way, but you are wrong to say
everything must be 30a. It only has to be 30a up to the receptacle.

After

that, 20a is okay, assuming the machines are less than 20a. (In fact,
rereading the code, I am not even sure if the receptacle has to be 30a,
though it seems prudent.)