Robert Galloway

On the subject of running 3 conductors + ground. What might you want to
run on from there? Someday you may want some 110 at that location.
Planning to go back to the panel or just tap into what you've got. I
don't think many have kicked themselves because they ran too large or
too many conductors the first time. No law against installing a fused
switch or breaker at the location if the device needs more protection.

bob g.

jack wrote:

"toller" wrote in message ...

There is no harm to running 10/3 rather than 10/2, but unless your machines
actually require a neutral you don't have to.

You have not mentioned what the machines draw, but unless they are huge 30a
should be plenty; I run both of mine on 20a.

You will have to use receptacles rated for 30a, but other than that it seems
pretty straight forward.(though I would rather see two 20a circuits..)

He didnt mention with ground, It needs a ground of course.
I would check on the distance and current draw with a meter. I use all
12/3 with a ground. All my tools are within 30 feet of the panel.
A cheap amp-probe can be a real eye opener on some of these 5 HP
motors. It can also be used to tell if the start capacitor is bad on a
motor.