Matthew Durkin

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
In article , chris French
writes

Yes, it would be worried about the insulation inside this cable which is
likely to be rubber - or rather I'd be worried about the insulation at
the ends of the cable where it terminates.

In our old house the cores were wrapped in waxed paper, not rubber,
inside the lead sheath. Joints were made by soldering the wires
together, insulating them with tape, and then wrapping a sheet of lead
around the joint and soldering it to the sheath of the wires entering
the joint. (for example, joints with three wires resulted in a
triangular lead "blob" soldered to the three incoming wires.) Quite a
work of art, but bloody frightening to still see used in this day and
age. And people used to run irons and things off the light sockets
using this wiring...

--
.sigmonster on vacation

My Dad seemed to think it would be paper insulated, not rubber. Apparently
it lasts a long time so long as it is never allowed to get damp. Not seen
any lead blobs though! There are definitely lead junction boxes in this
installation...