Pete C

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:14:36 GMT, "Matthew Durkin"
wrote:

But were the wires 70 years old? That's really the problem here I think. I'm
sure they were good new, and the fact they're still here is testimony (one
assumes) to the original quality; but the materials are perishable!
Thanks for the advice all. I'm going to give my Dad a call and advise he
gets he arse round there pronto to sort something out! I'll get him to save
whatever he pulls out so I can have a look and see if there really was
anything to worry about after all!
Matt

Hi,

Might be worth checking for continuity between the sheath and earth at
both ends then testing them with a Megger. If an RCD is then added
that would give _some_ protection.

cheers,
Pete.