Matthew Durkin

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
I wonder if the lead cables running from the fuse box are connected to
anything. It is not uncommon to see the old cables, lead or otherwise
still
present without them serving any purpose. Electricians can be too lazy to
remove the old stuff.

Heh heh - not just electricians. I'm in the process of replacing my
consumer unit which is at the top of the stairs going to the cellar, and
taking the opportunity to remove dead gas and water pipes and electrical
conduit. The gas iron barrel appears to be armour plated. ;-(

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I forgot to mention something. In 2003 an electrician added 4 downlighters
to the circuit when the bathroom was re-done, and has left his safety tested
sticker on the fusebox. My Dad reckons that the original 5 Amp round pin
wall sockets would have been connected to it, and that the 13A modern
sockets may well all be on it. He could only see the one obvious cable
running upstairs.
As for the sheath being at 120V - doubt it. I didn't get any kind of shock,
mild tingle etc when I scratched a bit of paint off the surface to reveal
the metal last week. The metal was also very shiny and not in any way
corroded. The cable was also stone cold, so not running warm at all.
Anyway, I think my Dad's going round there next week to test the cables and
see if there is an imminent problem. I think we might tackle a re-wire over
Christmas unless the results of the cable test indicate a more pressing
need. In the meantime, we'll be advising my sister to not use a hairdryer,
kettle etc upstairs.