J&KCopeland

wrote in message
om...
My neighbor is replacing his deck top with composite, and just
finished removing all the lumber from the prior deck top. He's got no
plans for it, and, actually, doesn't know how to dispose of it. Seems
to me, it'd serve well for some outdoor furniture. It's about 10 years
old, but he took good care of it, so it's already pretty flat and
straight. It's got a red stain on the top side I'm not fond of, but I
figure I need to mill it square and flat anyway.

Any special considerations?

What about edge gluing pressure treated lumber? I've got plans for a
chaise lounge that requires a couple 7 1/2 boards, but I don't think
he's got any that wide. I could glue them up, but worry about
longevity of such a joint outside.

What about finishing? I'd like to put a long lasting finish on it. I'm
thinking spar varnish, but am anxious to hear other's opinion.s

TIA, as always.

I have built all sorts of outdoor furniture using both CCA and the newer
ACQ.

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00127.asp

I was advised to use the new decking screws with the ACQ because of the
possibility of chemical reactions with older steel screws with the ultra
high copper content. Other than that, simple common sense prevails.

Don't cut the stuff indoors, (if at all possible)
Use a dusk mask. (Ever cut cottonwood? Now that stuff WILL choke you to
death Grin)
Clean up debris and sawdust, immediately. (Do not track it in the house,
etc....)
Don't eat it. (This isn't as silly as it sounds. Young teething children
will chew on the damnest things. Exercise appropriate caution)
Don't burn it. CCA smoke IS toxic.
Don't try to compost the stuff. To start with, the "wood" was designed NOT
to break down. And it won't.

NOTE: Will hundreds of millions of people, some are bound to have
allergic-type reactions to just about everything but water (maybe).

ACQ wood, according to my source, is rated at 40 or 60 years, full ground
contact. Depends on the level of copper. (My source is a salesman, so I
wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in him Grin)

I have personally pulled out CCA landscaping ties that were totally buried
in the ground for 30 years. In some instances, the steel spikes that were
used to nail the ties together, had totally rusted away, but in most
instances, the wood was still good and solid.