Charlie Self

Tim Daneliuk writes:

Now, assume an average SS payout of $1300/mo. We get a total time
to break even of:

$148,500 / $1300 = ~114 months or about 9 1/2 years

Assume an average of HOW much?

b) The actual "average income" was far less than $22K for
the past 45 years. I'd guess (and that's all it is)
it is more like $10K. In that case, using the same
calculations as above, we get a break even at just over
4 years.

The less you put in, the less you get out, something you refuse to include in
your calculations. I know a couple people on SS who are drawing about $1300 a
month. I know one helluva lot more drawing well under a grand, down as low as
about $650.

3) I was not so much focused on Social Security, but rather outright
money grants like the new Drug Benefit. It is ghastly expensive,
is not funded by any prior contributions, and is nothing more than
a wealth redistribution scheme.

It's mostly bull****, as you well know.

IMO, we should phase out ALL social programs - over time, giving back any
contributions people have made in a fair manner - because private sector
retirement investement is a far better deal for everyone. The recipients
benefit far more, and actual money (instead of government promises to pay
in the future) is injected into the financial system.

Jesus. What a yuppie point of view. Libertarian, right?

Ta.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary