DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:
Trevor Jones wrote:

Jeridiah wrote:

Anyone have any ideas on how/if this can be used for something useful
w/o a lot of work?

The drive board in our 3 yr old Neptune killed itself in a big way.
Blew a hole in the main chip(I'm guessing it used to be some sort of

[ ... ]

Maytag gave me the replacement board(and motor) under warranty. No
questions asked. It looks like they have made some updates. There is
a AC line filter added, some other tweaks to the drive circuitry, and
a MUCH better enclosure to protect the board.

[ ... ]

Under the assumption that this is the 3 phase variable speed motor that
was discussed here a couple times in the past, I suspect the best way to
get some use out of it would be to get an appropriately rated VFD and
wire it to the motor. You may be able to find wiring diagrams and/or

[ ... ]

I've never seen a 120VAC VFD. He might have a hard time
finding one.

Hmm ...

Mitsubishi FR-U110W-0,1K-UL

a cute little VFD which is supposed to be used with 1/8 HP 240 V
three-phase motors, though I am told that it will work well with up to
1/4 HP under comfortable conditions.

It runs from 120 VAC single phase input, but will generate 240
VAC three phase. However, like any VFD which I have encountered, it is
possible to tell it to reduce the output voltage if you so desire.

Since Maytag gave him a new motor, I'd think twice about
hooking any electronics up to the old one that costs
much more than free.

Yes -- but if the old motor can be used to run a small machine
tool (e.g. a Taig or a Sherline), it might be worth something like the
$35.00 that It cost me on eBay about a year ago or so. (I had hopes
that it would generate up to 400 HZ (as some of the larger ones will
do), so I could use it for playing with some ancient aircraft
instruments which I have (an artificial horizon, and a gyrocompass).
These were surplus back in about 1960, so they must be no great shakes,
but fun to play with.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564