Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
I wonder if the lead cables running from the fuse box are connected to
anything. It is not uncommon to see the old cables, lead or otherwise still
present without them serving any purpose. Electricians can be too lazy to
remove the old stuff.

Heh heh - not just electricians. I'm in the process of replacing my
consumer unit which is at the top of the stairs going to the cellar, and
taking the opportunity to remove dead gas and water pipes and electrical
conduit. The gas iron barrel appears to be armour plated. ;-(

I fitted a new light in the living room a while back and when in the
bedroom above, noticed an old gas pipe! I've since lifted more floor
boards and see more of these little pipes. The attic is full of old
wiring and bakelite junction boxes. Fortunately none of it is in use as
the house was rewired in the last 15 years. (Quite creatively in places,
too)

The worrying thing was the scorch marks in the lath ceiling above the
ceiling rose ... I guess 100 years ago there was gas lighting and
perhaps it got a bit too hot on occasion...

Gordon