Matthew Durkin

"sPoNiX" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:53:45 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Wow - I saw some lead wiring 25 years ago and it was totally knackered
then.

Lead wiring is nothing..

I have seen junction boxes made from Oxo tins..the wires were brought
into the tins via holes punched in the sides, the wires twisted
together and the tin filled with bitumen or tar to act as an
insulator. (The wire had fabric over rubber insulation)

Scary, but rather ingenious!

sPoNiX

But were the wires 70 years old? That's really the problem here I think. I'm
sure they were good new, and the fact they're still here is testimony (one
assumes) to the original quality; but the materials are perishable!
Thanks for the advice all. I'm going to give my Dad a call and advise he
gets he arse round there pronto to sort something out! I'll get him to save
whatever he pulls out so I can have a look and see if there really was
anything to worry about after all!
Matt