Wild Bill

That's a very good image from a relatively low cost camera. I've been using
an HP 215 that produces marginally acceptable closeup pics. There are some
clip-on lenses from Tiffin for the 215 and other different brands of digital
cams without threaded lens rings.
If I can't get a decent flash image with the x1 setting, I'll try the x2
digital zoom from a longer distance.

Machined metal parts are a challenge (at least for me) because of multiple
surfaces, threads and other details.
Sometimes suspending/mounting the part "on a stick" nearer to the camera
than the background, with no other objects nearby gives very good results.

For most of my limited experience with images for web pages, additional fill
lighting is required for a decent image (I started with a video camera and a
frame capture gizmo, went to a flatbed scanner and am now using the HP) and
common incancescents are too cold/red for most types of cameras. Some
flourescents aren't much better (haven't found a good compact screw-in
flourescent), but this HP does seem to be compatible with a GE Cool White
circle flourescent in a magnifier lamp at my table.

I've picked up a lot of good tips from this thread that should improve my
results, and thanks to those that offered them

WB

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Thanks to all. Using the suggestions here I was able to get a decent shot
which I'd failed to get in about 4 dozen previous tries. This shot shows
the chuck at the top end of the file rod, where you actually clamp the
parallel machine file. I was unable to clamp a file so it was parallel to
the file rod. On closer examination, I realized that the fixed jaw of the
chuck was well and truly boogered and, amazingly, appeared to have been
manufactured that way. See the image:

http://tinyisland.com/images/FixedJawAsReceived.jpg

My solution is going to be to mill the fixed jaw until it is clean and

right
and make a hardened shim to replace the removed material. Not being

skilled
at brazing, I'll probably epoxy the shim in place.

I'll post details of the camera later. The die filer I'm using as a

reference
is a Keller Model 256. I'm having lots of fun working on it.

Grant Erwin