Jim Stewart

Trevor Jones wrote:

Jeridiah wrote:

Anyone have any ideas on how/if this can be used for something useful
w/o a lot of work?

The drive board in our 3 yr old Neptune killed itself in a big way.
Blew a hole in the main chip(I'm guessing it used to be some sort of
microcontroller, can't read the numbers on it anymore) and smoked a
few drive transistors. W/O the controller board I am not sure how to
drive this motor.

Maytag gave me the replacement board(and motor) under warranty. No
questions asked. It looks like they have made some updates. There is
a AC line filter added, some other tweaks to the drive circuitry, and
a MUCH better enclosure to protect the board.

JW

Under the assumption that this is the 3 phase variable speed motor that
was discussed here a couple times in the past, I suspect the best way to
get some use out of it would be to get an appropriately rated VFD and
wire it to the motor. You may be able to find wiring diagrams and/or
spare parts for the controller that blew, but then, it blew once
already, right? Aside from that, I'd bet that there are a bunch of
features to the factory controller that would be of limited use outside
of a washing machine, like the multispeed agitate cycle.

I've never seen a 120VAC VFD. He might have a hard time
finding one.

Since Maytag gave him a new motor, I'd think twice about
hooking any electronics up to the old one that costs
much more than free.