derek

Default Locked out of own house-----almost

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:25:31 -0000, "John Chapman"
wrote:

Can anyone please advise best course of action when a mortice lock fails in
the locked position ?
Have a 5 lever ERA mortice lock on front door

= Cack. A cheap builder's lock

in addition to standard Yale
rimlock.
Locked the front door behind me this morning and it seemed a bit stiff and
tonight it will not reopen. However hard I turn the key the bolt will not
return and so door is effectively permanently locked. Have gained access to
house and tried all spare keys including almost brand new spare ones with no
success.

Any tips on how to retract the bolt ?

Like people have said, rock it roll it and jiggle it about. If you get
it open don't lock it again. However internal parts can physically
break. :-( Try asking on the locksmithing newsgroup. Yes, there is
one.

As we have another lockable exit door I have the luxury of not having to
panic and cut lock out of door or frame.
Yellow pages is full of Locksmiths with 24 hrs callout. Can any of
these----local or national---be recommended ?

It's what they do. But phone them they may be able to make
suggestions, I went along to one of them with a problematic Chubb 7
lever deadlatch and they spotted it as I went through the door, saying
they were always being called out by people locked out with these
locks, but the 5 lever in the same body was fine.

Will my buildings insurance help me if I have to employ someone to reopen
the door ?

No, it's a maintenance issue. Not an insurable event. But if you were
to find your keys had been stolen...

All advice gratefully received.

Chubb *5* lever. :-)

John Chapman