thierry

Default Closing off chimney with mortar

Hi,

We have just finished exposing a large old kitchen fireplace from
behind
a fair quantity of plaster, bricks and various other material, and we
now
want to close off the old chimney flue so that the fireplace and
hearth are
open and cleaned.

Our neighbours upstairs has the same chimney in her kitchen and people
who lived there before her seem to have closed it off with
cement/mortar. They seem to have used a mould as the mortar is
perfectly applied. Does anyone know how this is done? I was thinking
of using MDF but eventually the dampness would go through -it's also
very dirty in there.

If anyone knows what is the best way to block it off / cement it, an
answer would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Rgards

Thierry