RKG

Actually with the wet sanding technique used in the FWW article you do not
get a gloss finish at all. You wind up with a satin finish and silky
smooth.

As far as varnish and poly being interchangable I don't know. I've only
been woodworking for just over 2 years since I retired and there is a lot I
don't know about finishing. I tried this technique because 1. I liked the
idea of being able to keep working in the shop and not having to worry about
a little dust getting on the finish (I don't have a separate room for
finishing) and 2. No extra equipment was needed over what I already had.

Haven't tried staining as I liked the results on oak by itself. With the
sanding afterwards not sure what it would do. Will have to give it a try on
some scrap pieces to see.

I'm sure there are things this technique and varnish will not be suitable
for but so far I like it.

Rick

"MikeG" wrote in message
ews.com...
In article , n0y
says...
Thanks for the info, if I go with the spar varnish technique from FWW

should
I stain it first since the varnish will be clear? Also Going to several
websites they use varnish and poly interchangable. The same thing with
different names??
Thanks

Spar varnish can, because it is a long oil varnish, be problematic if
you want to rub it out. I don't remember if you mentioned what you are
building but if it isn't for outdoors there is no real reason to use
spar varnish. It won't hurt anything if you do, it's just a pain in the
ass to get too a high gloss.

Not as much of a pain in the ass as poly is though. Yes, by generally
accepted definition, poly is s varnish. A surface finish consisting of a
drying oil, a thinner/carrier, and resins. The difference from the low
test stuff is that the resins in poly form a stronger bond making it
more scratch and spill resistant. Also brittle and, as previously
stated, a pain to rub out.

The low test stuff is bad enough without the problems presented by
either spar or poly varnish. If the application doesn't call for that
much protection your better off not using either.

Truth be told, if the application doesn't call for that much protection
my advise is to avoid varnish completely and, depending on the look you
want, go with shellac or lacquer, preferably Danish.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods