Grant Erwin

Thanks to all. Using the suggestions here I was able to get a decent shot
which I'd failed to get in about 4 dozen previous tries. This shot shows
the chuck at the top end of the file rod, where you actually clamp the
parallel machine file. I was unable to clamp a file so it was parallel to
the file rod. On closer examination, I realized that the fixed jaw of the
chuck was well and truly boogered and, amazingly, appeared to have been
manufactured that way. See the image:

http://tinyisland.com/images/FixedJawAsReceived.jpg

My solution is going to be to mill the fixed jaw until it is clean and right
and make a hardened shim to replace the removed material. Not being skilled
at brazing, I'll probably epoxy the shim in place.

I'll post details of the camera later. The die filer I'm using as a reference
is a Keller Model 256. I'm having lots of fun working on it.

Grant Erwin

Ron Bean wrote:
Grant Erwin writes:

I get pictures that are semi-usable but nothing at all that
can really be said to be in focus. I believe I've tried all 4 permutations
of zoom and macro mode.

Partly repeating what others have said, but this is my experience:

* Even in macro mode, there is a limit to how close you can get.
Try backing off until you get a clear shot. Even after cropping,
this may be good enough for the web, since you're probably
downsampling anyway.

* Use a tripod or other camera support. The standard tripod mount
is a 1/4-20 thread, so you can improvise a support from anything
with a 1/4" hole in it (but if you're using a long bolt, use a
nut on it so the end doesn't break through the camera case). The
"ultra-clamp" is also handy for this kind of thing (available at
most camera stores for about $20).

* Use the 10-second self-timer so the camera has time to settle
down after you press the shutter button (if you also have a
2-second self-timer, that might not be long enough). This can
make a *big* difference when using slow shutter speeds.

* Use the smallest available aperture (usually F/8) and as much
light as you can get (if you don't have a manual mode, check the
manual for a mode that optimizes for small aperture and slow
shutter speed).

* Close-up diopters can help-- if you don't have lens threads you
can just hold it in front of the lens (or use duct tape). They're
fairly cheap.

* Standard photoshop skills apply-- contrast, sharpening, etc.

For what it's worth, here are some macro shots I took with a
cheap digicam:

http://www.geocities.com/jszybowski/...rd/Adapter.htm

The box is approximately 2"x3", the sockets are about 3/8" in
diameter. These are cropped & downsampled from much larger images.

Here's a page on mini-tripods, also including some macro shots:

http://www.panix.com/~rbean/tripod/