Kirk S.

"Ol' Duffer" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Thanks a bunch! TV works pretty good, I got it free by
simply hauling it off for someone. The internal battery
is dead as well.

Yeah, it's old enough. Pretty standard lithium coin cell.
Not in an easy-to-replace holder, unfortunately.

Typical. Which board is it on?

IIRC, on a big board in the bottom of the set, near the
front edge, under a shield along with the EEPROM.

I've never really been around one so this is my first experience.

People
like to push the brightness and picture all the way up. I don't really
notice much of a difference however I understand that it drives the guns
harder and wears them out faster.

Nitpick: It's not the guns, they are pretty durable, rather
the phosphor coating gets the heck burnt out of it. Remember
they drive these things so hard they need to cool the faces
of the tubes.

Right! Electrons are cheap! I could think a little more before simply
writing an answer. The coolant is for the destination not the source.

At times, it is difficult to convince
people that just because it was free, it doesn't mean that is should be
abused. I'll clean up the lenses and mirrors when I'm inside it. Once

crt goes, it probably isn't a viable option to replace, is it?

It came from a non-smoking environment so it was pretty clean inside. Why
don't they make things this easy to get into anymore?

Over $400 list, last I looked (each). If they're still
available. And lots of time to install, converge, tweak
color tracking, etc. And other stuff in the set could
go anytime and it's no longer supported by Philips.

I'll keep an eye out on the curbs during large item trash pickup for another
one... At the price of projection HDTVs, that isn't a viable option.

I'd say keep repairs to a minimum, dim the lights a bit,
and enjoy it while it lasts.

Good advice! I resoldered the square pins and that solved it. Someone had
already been into the set. Left a real mess! Looks like they used a torch
to solder some new flameproof resistors on. I poked around the blue
horizontal area and found a bad solder joint. Looked ok however a little
prodding with a plastic probe found it. It is only real dim on shows that
have dark scenes. Works great for sporting events which is what I want if
for anyway. Picture quality is very good for a set this old.

Thanks again!