BigWallop

Default how to rewire bathroom pull switch to regular light switch

"Nick" wrote in message
om...
The two reds should be in one terminal point on the switch, the COM
terminal. The black should actually be covered with a red coloured

sleeving
to mark it as a switched live to the light fitting on the ceiling. The
setup you have is one red is from the mains and is the live feed to both

the
switch and also the continuous feed for the fan. The black from the fan
will be connected to the black inside the ceiling rose of the light

fitting
along with a switched red to make the timer in the fan come on when the
light does.

Thanks for this info, but I am still a little unsure of how to
proceed. Am I right that a normal light switch (with one COM and one
L1 terminal) will not be usable?

If I need another type of switch (a normal switch with four terminals
is what the other bathroom has) can you tell me what this is called,
and which wires go where?

Thanks very much again for your reply. Cheers Nick

A normal switch is OK to use, just put the two reds into the COM terminal
and switched live (black) to the L1 terminal. The reason for the double
pole switch being used in the pull cord is beyond me, because the only thing
it is doing is switching the same red on at the same time as the switched
live (black). If the fan continues to run all the time, then you'll need to
move the red that feeds it over to the L1 terminal and have it switch on
with the black.

Find out which red is the actual Feed Live to the switch, then you can mark
it with a pen or pencil to make sure you don't get it mixed up with the
switched red, and then connect it in to the COM terminal of the switch. You
already know the black is the switched live, so this is easy to put in place
on the L1 terminal and get it out of the way as well. Before you connect
the other red to anything, and making sure you don't touch the metal parts
of it, touch against the red in the COM terminal. If the fan begins to run,
then you have it in the wrong side of the switch. This means it is
connected in with black in the L1 terminal.