Arch

Randy, I cobbled up a cheap 'n dirty version of the too expensive
Escoulen chuck using a trailer hitch ball and pipe nipple & cap welded
to a faceplate. So far, a flop in progress, but pregnant with
possibilities.

Actually, I've had best results using an old cheap & worthless
independent 4 jaw chuck with a short pipe nipple cut into 4 quadrants
for jaws. I rounded the blank's end a little so it moves easily at
angles in the chuck and the nipple's threads added a secure bite. I
just wanted to simplify. Did I hear someone say, "cheapify?"

Leo #1, Messing around my shop is never boring. For me, making things
for a lathe is almost as much fun as making things on a lathe. Even tho
neither ever works out, my old schnauzer doesn't care and life in the
shop goes on.

Leo #2 (not necessarily in that order) Thanks, as usual, you are right
and I'm 90 deg. behind what's going on.

Bill, I really want to turn at an angle to the lathe's axis, eccentric
as opposed to off center. I may have my terms confused. I did make an
adjustable off-center chuck by setting a small rotatable disc in an off
center shallow hole in a larger face plate. The disc carried a small
bolt-pinchuck arranged so that its turning radius swept thru the lathe's
center to give me a concentric option. The disc was fixed with a long
setscrew from the periphery. A Sorby infringement, but I'm not selling
any.

Owen, Thanks for the encouragement. If it works, I'll borrow your pen
and burn my name in it.

Every one else, Hope this thread hasn't
taken us too OT from rcw's sacred mission of arguing the color wheel of
lathe white vs blue vs black vs gray vs plaid vs polka dots. Arch

Fortiter,