Don Foreman

Yes. I'm running 25% CO2 75% argon, .030 wire. I've read that
CO2 runs "hotter" and gives more penetration, but I suspect that may
depend on the machine. I note, for example, that the chart for the
Lincoln SP125 indicates it can do thicker stock with mixed gas than it
can with CO2. I've not tried CO2 with it, but I've otherwise found
that chart to be good guidance.

I used to do some autobody work (rustwork) with the SP125 and mixed
gas. I can attest that making buttwelds in 24 gage steel is no
problem with that box and mixed gas, have read that CO2 runs too hot
and burns thru. I was getting good results so I didn't bother
exploring that further....

TheMiller 210 works way far better than the little box on material
1/8" and thicker. That isn't to say that such work can't be done
with a smaller machine; it definitely can. However, I must say that
I feel a great deal more confident about welds made in thicker
material with the Miller 210. No, my SP125 is not for sale, not
ever! It works sweet magic on thin sheetmetal.

The mixed gas seems to be working nicely. I'm now getting welds
that are both sound and satisfactorily "pretty". I think they're
sound because on part of a job I did today, angle joined to
rectangular tubing to provide a mounting flange, I ground the slight
overburden on the top welds flat to surface. The welds
disappeared. All I saw was continuous shiney metal like the angle
and rectangular tube had been extruded or something as one piece.
I'm no pro welder, but that works for me!

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:18:04 GMT, Ted Frater wrote:

Good to hear youve made good progress with your mig welding.
Anychance of some info from you? what gas are you using?
Here weve used co2 and results are sort of ok. However having tried
co2 argon mix the results are so much better.
Have you tried this gas mix?
Ted Frater Dorset UK.