Ron Bean

Grant Erwin writes:

I get pictures that are semi-usable but nothing at all that
can really be said to be in focus. I believe I've tried all 4 permutations
of zoom and macro mode.

Partly repeating what others have said, but this is my experience:

* Even in macro mode, there is a limit to how close you can get.
Try backing off until you get a clear shot. Even after cropping,
this may be good enough for the web, since you're probably
downsampling anyway.

* Use a tripod or other camera support. The standard tripod mount
is a 1/4-20 thread, so you can improvise a support from anything
with a 1/4" hole in it (but if you're using a long bolt, use a
nut on it so the end doesn't break through the camera case). The
"ultra-clamp" is also handy for this kind of thing (available at
most camera stores for about $20).

* Use the 10-second self-timer so the camera has time to settle
down after you press the shutter button (if you also have a
2-second self-timer, that might not be long enough). This can
make a *big* difference when using slow shutter speeds.

* Use the smallest available aperture (usually F/8) and as much
light as you can get (if you don't have a manual mode, check the
manual for a mode that optimizes for small aperture and slow
shutter speed).

* Close-up diopters can help-- if you don't have lens threads you
can just hold it in front of the lens (or use duct tape). They're
fairly cheap.

* Standard photoshop skills apply-- contrast, sharpening, etc.

For what it's worth, here are some macro shots I took with a
cheap digicam:

http://www.geocities.com/jszybowski/...rd/Adapter.htm

The box is approximately 2"x3", the sockets are about 3/8" in
diameter. These are cropped & downsampled from much larger images.

Here's a page on mini-tripods, also including some macro shots:

http://www.panix.com/~rbean/tripod/