Dave Baker

Subject: closeup digital photos - ??
From: "Leon Heller"
Date: 22/08/04 20:54 GMT Daylight Time
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I'm no shutterbug. I'm using a digital camera that cost about $200. It
isn't a fancy Nikon which allows you to swap lenses or anything remotely
like that. Still, it ought to be able to take a closeup of something
about the size of a golf ball. I simply can't make it shoot anything

clear.
It has a zoom button. It has "macro mode". It has autofocus, and I know
about putting something like a playing card at the right distance and
holding the button halfway down to hold the autofocus and then shooting
the object. I get pictures that are semi-usable but nothing at all that
can really be said to be in focus. I believe I've tried all 4 permutations
of zoom and macro mode.

Is it me, or the camera? If me, what should I do differently? If it's the
camera, what other camera works better?

BTW, what I'm shooting are details of my die filer for the die filer Web
page I'm building. I know there is probably a more specifically correct NG
but I'm real used to this one and we have many knowledgeable regulars.

I use a Fuji FinePix 2400Zoom which I bought a few years ago; it wasn't
expensive. The macro facility on that works very well - I often use it for
photographing PCBs for my web site.

I have the Finepix 1400 Zoom and everything on that works great too. I don't
use it much these days but I did try the macro facility when I first got it and
it had no problem with focus. I suspect the problem is the OP's camera. Maybe a
fault with that particular one or maybe it's not a highly regarded model.

I did a lot of reading up of online tests and reviews before choosing what to
buy. The Finepix series seemed to come out top for the price in most reviews of
the time 2 years ago and I've certainly not regretted the choice.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)