Jan Wysocki

"Andrew" wrote in message ...
Just been out looking at new carpet for bedroom....
I'd originally thought I'd get them to fit over the old underlay....
but most of suppliers say you should buy new underlay as old will have
flattened etc...

Hmmm.... I've removed old carpet ...
Current underlay is somesort of brownish fibre (actually green squared
pattern
on floorboard side and brown matt fibres on top side...) and about 5+mm
thick ... staple thru
Its at least 8 years old (we moved in) ... and less than 25 years old (house
built)....

Underlay costs seem to be between £2 sqyd (fibre) and £5(foam) sq yd... Do I
need new ...
Would it help / be advisable to put the new layer (say fibre) of underlay
over the old and get them to staple top layer thru bottom to floorboard ...
or will this cause
trouble... Should I just throw out old underlay and replace with new
(I wouldn't want to throw out good stuff and replace with inferior just meet
some sales guys
quota)..
What say you ...?
thanks Andrew

I say that this is a d-i-y newsgroup! Carpet laying isn't rocket
science!
Carpet laying is easier than plumbing, just do it yourself!
You don't want a second layer of underlay over the first! it's either
reusable, or you strip it and
put new down. If the underlay is still resilient, then reuse it. Foam
underlay turns into dust in less
than ten years. Decent felt underlay costs around GBP5 per sq. m, well
worth reusing it.

--
Jan