LRod

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:15:51 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

There were three Swift boats on the river that day in Vietnam more than
35 years ago — three officers and 15 crew members. Only two of those
officers remain to talk about what happened on Feb. 28, 1969.

One is John Kerry, the Democratic presidential candidate who won a
Silver Star for what happened on that date. I am the other.

Well, that should certainly silence any critics, two absolutely
impeccable witnesses remain, one a politician, the other a reporter. I'm
convinced.

You should be. They were there. You and all the other critics weren't.

So now no further criticism should be leveled since, after all, the
records are going to be rife with error, and only the memories of those who
were there is really all we have to go by. ... and since they are
"strained" memories, who knows who is right or wrong?

My question is, why would someone who wasn't there question it? Can
they offer alternative evidence? No.

I can just see this conversation about 50 years ago when I was old
enough to ask my dad what he did in the war.

LRod: What did you do in the war, dad?

Dad: I flew on 35 missions in B-17s over Europe.

LRod: Yeah, right. Did you get any medals?

Dad: Air Medal with 7 oak leaf clusters, and some others.

LRod: I'll bet. You probably got a couple of those when you were up
slow-timing some engines.

Some fathers would have leveled the child at that point. Mine would
have just looked at me like I was an idiot, thought to himself, "well,
son, I was there; you weren't," and walked away.

I'm looking at you now, I know you weren't there. Good bye.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net