Joseph Meehan

toller wrote:
The electric water heater in my cottage is 24 years old. It is only has
water in it 5 months a year, and is only turned on about 30 days in those

5
months. I replaced the heating element about 5 years ago, and drain it
yearly (obviously).
It is on a well, and probably has lots of sediment in it; I have cleaned
plenty of tiny stones out of the shower head and sink aerator..

I know water heaters only last 10 or 15 years, but is that years of having
water in them, turned on, or what?

On the one hand, I hate to spend money on something that is used so
infrequently, but on the other hand, if it starts to leak, it could be a
week or two before I find out!

Local conditions make a great deal of difference. The same WH in one
area might last 3 years and in another 30. I doubt if anyone has a good
idea on the current condition of yours since it is an unusual situation.

I suggest one of two approaches.

My first choice would be an automated system to shut it off (including
water supply) in the event a leak is detected. My second choice would be to
replace it now.

Since you have a well, maybe it could be possible to shut down the power
to the well whenever you are not going to be around for while. That would
help protect you from extensive damage for any leak. Then make sure that
you have a catch/drain under you WH.

Thanks.

--
Joseph E. Meehan