al

Default A bit O/T ... UK PC vendors ...

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Unless you are into gaming in a big way you don't need to spend even £1k

let
alone 2!

I very much beg to differ!!! If you want to even look at any new games in a
year's time, such a machine won't even run them. I'm not looking for some
cheap heap that surfs the web and loads MS Office quickly!

Perhaps I should lay out some of my bare minimum requirements:

Intel or AMD - don't mind, but no more than one down from current fastest
CPU
At least 2GB of *FAST* RAM (not cheap no-brand crap ... really Corsair are
my favourite here)
2 HDDs - one about 60GB, the other about 160GB - both SATA, min 7200rpm
Optical - one reader (all formats), one writer (all formats - including both
DVD!)
ATi Radeon 9800XT 256 graphics card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS sound card
Decent speakers - at least 5.1 sound

However, banging the bits together in a warehouse does not make a good PC
necessarily! High end manufacturers spend a lot of time testing and working
with the OEMs to produce stuff that works really well together. VoodooPC
win tonnes of awards in the US - I'm trying to find a UK equivalent to
compare with.