On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:39:03 GMT, "Ron Magen" wrote:

Mike,
A BIG warning about 'Spar' varnish . . . it NEVER gets HARD. It is supposed
to remain flexible so the 'spar' can move without breaking the
weather-sealing finish.

Also, Spar, and most of the other varnishes are NOT 'clear', but actually
amber in tone. Again, this is part of their function - to protect
weather-exposed wood from UV damage, while allowing the wood itself to be
inspected for any physical damage.

A number of the 'interior use' varnishes are both clear and lack UV
additives. These are typically 'short oil' varnishes - and DO cure 'hard'.

However, for your use - the writing surface of a desk, as I understand it -
I use & recommend a Poly {water-based or Acrylic is my personal choice}.
They tend to finish so clear that they are considered 'cool' in tone. {some
people add an amber tint to 'warm' them}. While they have NO UV inhibiting
qualities at all,

you sure about that?
http://compliantspraysystems.com/enduro_water_base_coatings/exterior_interior_poly.htm

they do dry/cure amazingly hard. I finished the top of a
'working' cabinet for our kitchen about 6 years ago. Maple, with the pore's
filled, and about 4 thin coats of 'PolyCrylic'{?}. {applied with my usual
'varnish technique' of finer & finer sanding between coats} Looks like the
day it was finished.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Mike S." wrote ...
Thanks for the info, if I go with the spar varnish technique . . .